home about me recipes morsels

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Strawberry-Rhubarb Rickeys

Ahhhhh summer!  I love this time of year - loads of sunshine, longer days, flowers are a bloomin', baseball season is here and the cold drinks are flowing.  I love all things summer drinks and that definitely includes [but is not limited to] lemonade, ice tea, margaritas, beer, Arnold Palmer's, daiquiris and RICKEYS!

Have you ever had a rickey?  If so, aren't they one of the best inventions ever?  
If not, are you kidding me?  Did you not know they are one of the best inventions ever?! 
[I should also mention that Arnold Palmer's are also in contention for the numero-uno best summer drink according to moi award].

Regardless of your answer to the above question - rickeys are so incredibly simple to make that they MUST become a staple in your summer drink line up.

My usual go to rickey is a raspberry lime rickey but after having an abundance of rhubarb this past weekend, my mind went into overdrive and I knew I must run to the store and get some strawberries.  I am a huge fan of the strawberry+rhubarb combo so I decided to give it a go. Boy am I glad I did!

This drink was every bit as refreshing as I had imagined and was a little too easy to drink. Here is my tasty interpretation for you. 

Cheers!

Strawberry-Rhubarb Rickeys

2 ounces Strawberry-Rhubarb simple syrup [recipe below]
2 tsp fresh lime juice
2-3 ounces gin or vodka [optional - feel free to add more or less to taste]
Lemon-Lime flavored Seltzer
fresh strawberries and limes [for garnish]

sugar [for the rim]

Rub the rim of a large glass with a lime wedge and dip in sugar.

Fill glass with ice.

Combine first three ingredients in a cocktail shaker with a few ice cubes and give it a good shake or five or ten.
 
Pour into large glass and top with seltzer.

Stir mixture a few times to combine and garnish with limes and/or strawberries.


Strawberry-Rhubarb Simple Syrup
[Recipe modified from Country Living]
 
3/4 cup(s) rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
1/2 cup(s) strawberries, sliced and chopped
2/3 cups (s) granulated sugar
1/2 cup(s) water

In a 1-quart saucepan, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and water.

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until rhubarb is very soft -- about 10-15 minutes.

Cool mixture.  Once cool, place mixture in blender and blend until smooth.

Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to four days.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...